Sunday, October 31, 2010

War Damn Eagle!

As I sit here in my Auburn shirt, getting dirty looks from all these UT fans, I feel proud. I didn't go to Auburn, but my sister does, which counts for something. I love, love SEC football, wearing dresses to football games, and getting beer spilled on my pearls. I will not apologize for not caring about UT football. My loyalty will always be to the SEC. Keeping with this SEC pride, I thought I'd give a little shout out to the Alabama Department of Public Health

In a state where 31% of the total population is considered obese and 9% have obesity related diabetes, Alabama is up against some scary statistics in their public health battle. To make matters worse, 15.9% of Alabama residents live below the poverty line, this is compared with the US average of 13.2%.

So, how does the Alabama Department of Public Health start to make gains in making Alabama a state that doesn't lead the nation in obesity, diabetes, and poverty? They start a Facebook page, of course.

By now, it is clear that in order to create awareness of public health crisis and then change those crisis causing behaviors, public health agencies must know their audience. They have to reach them where they are.

The Alabama Department of Public Health Facebook page is rich with content for both information seekers, advocates, and public health professionals. Video and article links enrich the public health agenda of Alabama with relevant and timely updates.

This being said, I doubt the Alabama public health folks think that Facebook will make a huge dent in changing behaviors, but, it does create awareness, give advocates a place to show their support, and create a groundswell of support around specific initiatives. For example, Scale Back Alabama, a state-wide weight loss initiative, has it's own cause page.

Most public health maintained Facebook pages leave something to be desired. They are not frequently updated, the applications are not used efficiently, and they struggle to find relevant, easy to understand content. The Texas Department of Public Health doesn't have a Facebook page, however, the Texas Department of State Health Services does. See? No picture, no consistency of voice, and not content rich/diverse.

Facebook alone can not change the health of Alabama, but, it can be a tiny piece of the strategy to arm advocates and target audience with easy to digest information in an easy to access format.

War Damn Eagle! and Roll Tide! ( I guess)

No comments:

Post a Comment